Strange quail death...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by clawstar, Dec 21, 2014.

1. clawstar

clawstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    My spoiled, pet coturnix quail passed away today. His name was Simba, because he had the prettiest bib in the world. But when I let him out today into his big cage, he jumped into the fence, then couldn't walk. I thought he had just dislocated his leg for he couldn't or wouldn't stand, just fell over and scrambled around by kicking his other leg. then he started doing something a lot like a person would do when choking (like attempting to throw up). In a few minuets it was all over and he had closed his eyes for the last time. [​IMG]

RIP Simba

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    [​IMG] It is so hard when a pet passes on.

3. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    yes, it is...I just lost my fav. quail in oct. the worst part is when you don't know why they died..... ANY IDEAS BYC???

4. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Sounds like he may have broken his neck when he hit the fence :( I had one do the same and couldn't walk for a few days. placed her in the covered coop area with a light and some how managed to recover from it. Their tough little birds but if they hit wrong... it's all over sorry for your loss

5. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    yah, I took out the trimmers today and cut all my quails wing primaries down ALOT! when he was choking my dad tried a cpr but it dident work, when it was all over a felt down his neck, for any fractures but felt nothing....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by