strange question for some

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daddy_roo, Sep 21, 2011.

1. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    The question I have may seem wierd to some people but I may be on track. I was raised on a cattle farm in MO. I knew what chickens were but we never raised any. My grandfather used to put his bull in with the cows at a certain time of year, in order to keep his calves coming in durring the good weather. Is this something that can be attempted with chickens too? Or am I just crazy and squaking at the wrong tree?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Big Daddy, more chicks are hatched in the spring than any other time of year. It`s just the way God planned it. Doesn`t hurt to keep roosters in with the hens year round, but if that`s not possible, put them together in late winter/early spring........Pop

3. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    Quote:Sure you can do that if you choose to . just keep your roo's in a seperate pen until you are ready to hatch some chicks. but to be honest i dont know why you would do that.. i mean if you dont want to hatch any just gather the eggs to eat until you are ready. unlike eggs when a a cow is bred then a calf is coming in about 9 months . eggs will not hatch unless you choose for them to hatch... hope this helps

4. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    It makes sence just like I said I know cattle not chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by