Strange Question Needing An Answer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shiningfeather, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    My husband told me today that he was told colored eggs have less cholesterol?? I have never heard this, but don't claim to know everything either [​IMG] [​IMG] (well, ok.... maybe I do) I just would like to know the answer. Thanks

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    The color on the outside has nothing to do with the nutrition on the inside. The nutrition on the inside has everything to do with the diet of the hen.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    It was a *rumor* a while back. I only read about it in my araucana handout that was sent to me by a breeder when I got my eggs. I can't find it right now, but they are they are the same as any eggs you would get from your backyard flock [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I know everyone says they are exactly the same. I guess they really should be. HOWEVER.......all of my chickens are fed the same, have the same everything, and my green eggs have darker, richer yolks. Always. Same with my mother's chickens. It is not a huge difference but it is there. So, I tend to believe they ARE different...no clue about the cholesterol, though.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    That was the myth going around and its not true. its the same amount as any other eggs.

6. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I remembered seeing the lower cholesterol thing in McMurray's catalog with the Ameraucanas. It's actually related to the hens' diets. Leafy greens increases the omega-3 in eggs.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:I may have the answer to your darker yolks. (I'll have watch and see if my green ones have darker yolks, too, I never thought to compare them)

I used to buy fresh milk from some folks I knew, they had a Jersey, and a Jersey/Scottish Highland cross, and a Scottish Highland. There was a difference in the color of the cream. I think it was the Jersey and the Jersey cross, who had yellower cream.

I did some research and found out that some breeds pass the beta carotene (that's what makes winter squash or pumpkin flesh orange) on mostly unchanged, into the milk, giving the cream a yellow tint, and others convert most or all of the beta carotene to vitamin A, which is colorless. I was making my own butter, which made the difference really obvious. Maybe EE's and others that lay blue or green eggs do the same thing, and pass more unconverted beta carotene into the egg yolks.

I think the rumor was started by marketing people selling small blue and green eggs. They could claim lower everything, but the real reason was the eggs were smaller than your average grocery store eggs. I think they did one of those mis-direction tricks. Something like, "Look at these pretty colored eggs! And, they're lower in cholesterol!" Neglecting to mention that it was the size of the egg, not the color, that made the difference.

8. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    dancingbear
    I think the rumor was started by marketing people selling [i :

small[/i] blue and green eggs. They could claim lower everything, but the real reason was the eggs were smaller than your average grocery store eggs. I think they did one of those mis-direction tricks. Something like, "Look at these pretty colored eggs! And, they're lower in cholesterol!" Neglecting to mention that it was the size of the egg, not the color, that made the difference.

That would make since. Thanks so much.​

9. chook pen jen

chook pen jen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Collie W.Australia
    I saw a news article a few weeks ago ,that said eggs are good for you again , as they are so nutritious that the cholesterol is not important.....except you still shouldn't fry them, as that adds fat. [​IMG]

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I may have the answer to your darker yolks. (I'll have watch and see if my green ones have darker yolks, too, I never thought to compare them)

I used to buy fresh milk from some folks I knew, they had a Jersey, and a Jersey/Scottish Highland cross, and a Scottish Highland. There was a difference in the color of the cream. I think it was the Jersey and the Jersey cross, who had yellower cream.

I did some research and found out that some breeds pass the beta carotene (that's what makes winter squash or pumpkin flesh orange) on mostly unchanged, into the milk, giving the cream a yellow tint, and others convert most or all of the beta carotene to vitamin A, which is colorless. I was making my own butter, which made the difference really obvious. Maybe EE's and others that lay blue or green eggs do the same thing, and pass more unconverted beta carotene into the egg yolks.

This is VERY interesting. I wonder if that would effect the nutrition content or just the color?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by