Strange question re: paint on a hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gingerbread, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Gingerbread

Gingerbread New Egg

Jan 18, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My kids, who adore our chickens and are very responsible about taking care of them, used some poor judgement this morning. They wanted to have a celebration with the chickens and painted one of them blue. She is by no means covered, but there is a fair amount on the top of her back. Her downy under-feathers are clean. It is acrylic, not washable paint. I wouldn't want her wet now anyway, as it is too cold here in NY. My inclination is to just leave it alone, but I am wondering if it will affect her ability to keep warm and dry. I know their feathers are perfectly formed for the job. What do you think?
    Thank you!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Any photos[​IMG] (I want to see a blue chicken).

Is it acrylic paint like used for crafts?

If the top layer is all that has paint and the downy feathers are fine and can be fluffed, she will probably be able to fluff enough to keep warm. If it is craft acrylic, it should wear off fairly quickly once she gives herself a good dust bath.

Personally I would let is wear off.

3. Gingerbread

Gingerbread New Egg

Jan 18, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thanks for the reassurance! Here are some blurry pictures my daughter took. [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG][​IMG] You do have to admit it is funny. The expression on your hen's face says it all.

I hope the kids are not in too much trouble. I think she will be fine, just keep an eye on her.

Keep us posted on how she is doing.

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

X2

:lau

Gotta love kids! I agree, doesn't look too bad and should be fine...

6. Gingerbread

Gingerbread New Egg

Jan 18, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Yes, I had to laugh! And I didn't get mad. They felt bad enough already, once they thought about what they'd done! Plus, their "celebration" was in honor of the one year anniversary of losing their most beloved hen to a hawk. The younger one could not accept that she was dead, so they concocted a story that she hibernated last winter and rehatched in the spring. The blue chicken is her reincarnation, celebrating that she doesn't have to hibernate this winter!

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What a great celebration!

Kids and chickens what a fun combination.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by