strange rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shannon84, Jun 22, 2016.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Hello I'm new with chickens as of (Easter week) I have a beautiful stray huge buff orpington rooster dropped off on me I'm guessing since non of my neighbors have chickens) anyways I got two adult hens off my dad so my rooster Franklin won't be so lonely well he only chooses to violently mate with only one particular hen, and when he does he smashes her flat and her feathers get stuck to his spurs! While he is doing the the other hen that she grew up with jumps on her too ! Pecking her and biting her head! Is this normal behavior? I feel absolutely terrible for the hen and I can tell she hates it and she tries to stay clear from them both :( please help! Thanks guys

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It will continue unless you separate them. This may be the reason he was dropped off at your place.

3. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I think I'm going to give her back to my dad then. I don't know why he chooses that hen only to mate violently with, maybe because the other is mean lol ugh looks like I'll just have one hen and one rooster then . Thanks so much!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you need the rooster for fertile eggs? If not, you could rehome him and get more hens - maybe bet back the one you gave away.

5. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Hi thanks for your response! I actually just wanted him only as a pet but I seen how lonley he was getting so I got the two adult hens from my dad, I thought it would work out just Fine but I see it's not going too [​IMG] it's that certain hen that he is bothering only. I don't get it.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My guess is the one hen is more submissive and has accepted being bullied before, and the other is a more dominant hen. I would give back the one for sure and see how it goes for the other.

7. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Yes I totally agree, the small one that he rarely mates with is extreamly dominant and the other is very submissive. I made up my mind now the timid one goes back. I can't stand watching them treat her like that. He is good to them as of giving them his treats but he is really rough on them mating. Is that normal for some roosters? He is massive and they are smaller he flattens them and he will dig in. Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate it [​IMG]

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some roosters are just not nice about mating. Most of the time it isn't something the hen enjoys. Sometimes they improve with age sometimes they don't. I guess you will see how he treats the bolder one once the meek one isn't there for him. It should be interesting if he mates her or she keeps him in his place. I have some older hens that don't get mated by my roosters, but I think it's because they don't lay eggs anymore.

You can trim spurs and nails on the rooster so he isn't causing as much damage, but he will still squish them.

9. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Well the crazy thing was I did have the timid hen away from him for a week, he never touched the dominate one and I found that so bazaar! She's so much smaller then him but she puts him in his place I guess. I had no idea that a hen could be dominate over a rooster lol a huge rooster at that! I will have to YouTube a video so I can learn how to do his Spurs [​IMG]

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I trim mine just like my dogs. I use a large dog nail clippers, have something like kwik stop if you bleed them. It helps to have someone hold him by his feet with his chest resting on a solid surface.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by