strange rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilyrose27, Oct 23, 2014.

1. emilyrose27

emilyrose27 New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    My rooster squats and points his beak to the heavens frequently. Is this normal behavior? He spends a lot of time like this, shaking his head around and crowing too. I've seen a lot of roosters but not one that does this 360° vision squat. I'm butchering roosters this weekend, do I need to pick out another breeding rooster?[​IMG]
    I thought it was adorable and hilarious at first but there might be something seriously wrong with him.

2. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Just a guess but could his crop be impacted?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your rooster is having symptoms of wry or crook neck. It is a neurological symptom of head injury, a vitamin deficiency, or from certain diseases that affect the brain. Give him poultry vitamins in his water that contain vitamin B1 thiamine and vitamin E. Selenium is also important, and if your vitamins don't have it, give him some egg each day. He might not be the one you would want to breed. Here is a link on wry neck with vitamin suggestions for a 2 lb chicken: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Thank you Eggcessive. I am somewhat new with chickens, and I didn't know this. Glad you posted the info. It might be helpful for me in the future.

Poor guy! I hope he gets better. I am so sad for him. Good luck!

5. emilyrose27

emilyrose27 New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    Thank you so much for the replies, I really appreciate it. Thank you eggcessive, you got me on the right track. And thank you StephensonC, I checked his for his crop and it got me thinking it wasn't full and he isn't doing what he should be, he is staring into space. I'll get vitamins in the water tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by