Strange Runner bill color

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sore Thumb Suburbanite, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    [​IMG]

My runner has this odd green bill color that started out smaller but has always been on her bill since she was about 4 weeks old... I thought she just had dirty build-up until I realized it is appearing in spots farther down her bill and is definately a green color instead of just dark dirtyness. It is worse on the other side with spots appearing about 1/2 way down her bill. Is she diseased or does she just have a funky bill color? Will her whole bill turn green? has anybody come across this problem? She seems otherwise fine-aside from being the most stand offish and loudest quacker...
    Thanks guys.

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep and you will find that the older she gets the more greeen will appear and it will fade to a dirty brown colour. My F&Ws have it too. [​IMG]

3. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    eeew. My runner is defective. Oh well, she is still entertaining and will make lovely eggs soon. Do you have a picture of yours? Oh, and how old is she now?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    It's not a defect. F&W runner females get the green spots on their bills. That's just genetics.

Ally used to have a yellow bill when she was little and as she grew older, the more green her bill has gotten. She's only 10 months old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

6. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    Oh, ally's bill is pretty mottled now. I guess Earnestine's will get that way too, I'm happy its not a defect or a disease. ally sure is pretty, she looks so tidy too. Earnestine is the dirtiest duck... she loves mud and gets it everywhere, most of the time she looks nice...but oh how the mud coats her head and face...its like a 2 year old with her own chocolate birthday cake. maybe she will become a little sleeker when she stops growing new feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by