strange silkie pair behavior.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deco, Feb 1, 2012.

1. deco

deco Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington Co, PA
    So I have 2 silkies, QPP (8months) and Deco(5months) and they just drove across the country with me 2 weeks ago. QPP had been laying pretty regularly up until the 36 hour drive (with every 2 hour water stops and they were let out each evening to run around the hotel bathroom). She hasn't laid since, which doesn't really worry me since she's new to this whole laying thing, its winter, and she did just lead a gypsy life. She is acting totally happy and normal.
    Deco is my "I think she's a hen" pullet who I caught in the nesting box today singing and laying down. My concern is that there are white silkie feathers EVERYWHERE. Neither of them appear to have bald spots and I have NEVER seen either of them being aggressive to the other or pulling feathers out. I handle them daily and don't even feel any balder spots. How are they losing this many feathers but still looking normal? Some of the feathers are the big legit looking feathers. Its been happening for almost a week now.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It almost sounds as if the stress of the move has forced them into a molt.

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I agree with Sourland...

the stress of moving is hard on chickens. They need a place to settle in.

Good luck!

~AnnElise

4. deco

deco Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington Co, PA
    thanks so much for the replies! I will keep a close eye on them. They have been settling in really well and singing their happy hen songs so hopefully its just a minor bump in the road.

5. Jeff21

Jeff21 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast Kansas
    I agree.

This reminded me of a Mottled Frizzled Cochin rooster I used to have.. He would sit in the nests and sing to the hens. It was the funniest thing ever! His name was "Purdy".

6. deco

deco Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington Co, PA
    UPDATE: So we began building the new Silkie Palace coop today... and Queenie gifts us with her first Pennsylvania laid egg.
    She is all knowing apparently.

7. Jeff21

Jeff21 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast Kansas
    Congrats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by