Strange skin disease in Brabanter Pullet - PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PurpleChicken, Sep 29, 2008.

1. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My Brabanter pullet was acting very lethargic today. Usually she's a spaz. I picked her
    up and examined her to find a brown crust covering all of the skin under her wing.

The stuff looked like caked on food so I tried to wash it off. Most of it came off but
    there are areas that appear to be pussy and beneath the skin. I examined her completely
    and she seems to have this all over her body. It has an odor like meat bird poo or wet
    food. There is no green color or evidence of a fungus.

None of my other birds are showing any symptoms. She is usually housed with my silkies,
    Spitz hen, and polish silkie crosses. They are all fine.

This chicken escaped the barn and was stuck outside during several thunderstorms 2
    weeks ago. I don't think it related but figured I'd mention it.

She is suffering right now. I know this just from how calm she is. She did eat something
    but passed out in my meat birds dish. I will cull her immediately if I need to but was hoping
    someone here would know what this was.

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I have no idea... but [​IMG] at the random troll doll.

3. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:That was a photobucket typo as I tried to get this post up quick. I know I have a rep
    for being a joker but this isn't a joke. [​IMG]

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Are there any sores or raw areas in her mouth? I'd guess an epidermal fungal infection with secondary bacterial infection. I would think that at this point Miconazole ointment wouldn't do any more damage, regardless. Aspirin/electrolytes/vitamins and extra protein, of course.

Thank you for posting the shots, hopeful that the Dons show up and school us, pretty quick, here.

(I'd probably use Tylan as well).

Good Luck!

5. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My wife just got home from work and looked at her. She had a similiar opinion
    but is used to seeing stuff like this on humans, not chickens.

I had to cull her. She was falling over and in extreme pain. I doubt she would
    have made it through the night. In the last 4 hours she went from ranging around
    to almost dead.

No matter how many times you have to cull a sick bird it never seems to get any
    easier. Poor girl. She had a good, yet very short life. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'm very sorry you lost your pretty girl.

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Sorry to hear that. But, again, thank you for posting the shots as they may be useful in some future diagnosis.

Take Care.

8. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Sorry PC.
    You gave that bird a great life, spoiled them rotten.
    You did what you had to do.

:aww

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:That was a photobucket typo as I tried to get this post up quick. I know I have a rep

I apologize. I know it was serious, but the troll threw me off. I'm sorry that you had to cull her [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  10. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland

I apologize. I know it was serious, but the troll threw me off. I'm sorry that you had to cull her [​IMG]

No apology is neccesary. When I reviewed the original post and saw that troll my
    jaw dropped. My camera repeats pic numbers then photobucket updates them.
    The troll was 102. I needed 102-1. That was a pic I posted on the mascot thread.

When you have chickens, especially as many as I do, this will happen. I'm hoping none
    of my other birds are affected by this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by