1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Strange Skin on Guinea

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by GuineaFowling, Dec 6, 2016.

1. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    My Guinea hen has some really strange flaky skin on her abdomen area (below crop).

A little backstory, she has laid 6 clutches this year ranging between 14-25 eggs per clutch. I did not encourage this whatsoever, as she has been egg bound before and I would hate for that to happen again.
    Her first 5 clutches were eaten by God knows what.
    I tried to move the best but she wouldn't budge. Finally her last clutch was lain in the nest box. She sat for about 33 days but the eggs didn't hatch and she's finally been off the nest for about 3 weeks.
    She's currently molting, and I noticed her skin is very strange.
    It's flaky and hanging a bit. She is an old girl so that might be the reason behind the hanging skin.

What are your thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ibarrett

ibarrett Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Hi, sorry nobody has responded.

That sure does look strange. Have you checked her for mites? They're super tiny and sometimes hard to see. Like black pepper.

You said she's been broody. From my research, people say missing feathers in that area is a classic sign of broodiness.

Best of luck.

3. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Hey thanks for the response. It was a combo of sitting in hr eggs all day and molting. She's all good now but it was pretty strange.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by