Strange spot on egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cferschke, Oct 11, 2016.

1. cferschke

cferschke Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Hello, I have had problems with soft shells in the past, but that seems to be resolved. Now I had an egg that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas what it can be?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. cferschke

cferschke Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Thanks for that article.

No dampness or poop. It was more than just staining though. It was actually like an imprint on the sheet itself. When I opened it, it was a thinner shell than usual. I have no idea how that can be because I provide plenty of egg shells and their food is even fortified with oyster shells. It was good to eat when I cracked it, so I guess it'it's ok, but I want to make sure it's not something I'm doing or not doing to cause it. Thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That indicates that two eggs were forming..That flat side is where the other shell was..Did you find a soft shelled egg on the ground?
    They might have eaten it...Very normal with first layers...They need to work all the kinks out..

Cheers!

5. cferschke

cferschke Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Ah...very interesting. I wasn't home all day, but I didn't see anything strange. Thank you so much for this information! I have 9 birds and they are about 28 weeks. The first started laying at 18 weeks, but it was a while before we got close to 8 or even 9 eggs a day. So, it could be that some are newer to laying.

6. chickens really

New layers can give you very strange eggs the first year of laying....

Enjoy those Birds and the eggs..

Cheers!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's called a slab sided or body check....glitch in the shelling gland, sometimes caused by another egg-sometimes not.
    Can be a one-off, a passing phase, or may continue.
    Had a couple girls lay those all winter one year....one of whom had some respiratory stuff going on.

8. cferschke

cferschke Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Thank you! How would know if there is some sort of respiratory problem? That's why I get confused when I try to research because they give about 5 different *possible* causes that can range from things that you can't do anything about to very serious issues that need to be addressed and I never end up knowing how to rule out the wrong ones to find the actual cause.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  9. chickens really

Why are you asking about that?? Are your birds sick? Sneezing, coughing....More info...

Cheers!

10. cferschke

cferschke Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    A previous coomment from aart mentioned that one of his/her hens laid like that all winter, but she ended up having respiratory problems. I don't notice anything strange with mine at all. They seem very robust and healthy--visitors have even commented so, even ones who own their own hens. I just worry about my babies and want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by