Strange Squawking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emmyemcaty, Feb 6, 2015.

1. emmyemcaty

emmyemcaty New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Not sure what happened to my previous post. This is what my hen is doing. Any ideas? She was stuck under the chicken house building, heard her squawking. Got her out and this is what she has been constantly. She doesn't appear to have eaten or drank anything. I separated her from the other in case this is an illness. This morning, she was still doing this even when no one was around her.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she may have mucus or something stuck in her throat causing stridor. Many times it goes away, but she could be starting to have signs of a respiratory illness, or even gapeworm if you live in a warm environment. Has she been wormed recently? SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the Equine paste is good to treat gapeworm and other worms at 1/2-1 ml orally for 3 straight days. Many times people post similar videos, and the stridor disappears without warning or treatment. I am a little worried that she is not drinking. I would offer her the water up to her beak, and give her some chicken feed mixed with water just to entice her. Chickens who can eat and drink are not suffering from gapeworm. Watch for any sneezing or runny nose. Here is a similar thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/945980/wheezing-chicken-is-she-sick-or-just-playing

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  3. emmyemcaty

emmyemcaty New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    It isnt warm here, thats for sure. It was in the teens at night for the past couple days. It she doesnt cough it up, is there anything we can do for her?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes adding some apple cider vinegar on the strong side, can be used as an expectorant if there is something respiratory going on. I would only do this once, since the vinegar is strong, but add a tablespoonful per quart. Usually vinegar is only used at a tablespoonful per gallon. Let us know if she gets back to normal. If you notice coughing, sneezing, nasal or eye drainage, then you may want to start some antibiotics, such as Tylan 50, oxytetracycline, or Duramycin 10.

5. emmyemcaty

emmyemcaty New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    I gave her a baby aspirin dissolved in a tablespoon of water. Afterwards, she seemed to doing a sneeze or cough every little bit. I can't get my video to upload otherwise I could show you. She still gets up and walks around but I have her separated in case she is sick. She also hadn't laid today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by