Strange sticky hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kukupecpec, Dec 13, 2012.

1. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    This is my first time trying to hatch eggs. All my girls have stopped laying so I opted for shipped eggs.

They arrived yesterday but supposedly the doorbell didn't work and the postman left a pick up slip instead of the box on the doorstep. I was able to pick them up at the post office this afternoon. I unpacked them all and everything seemed to be in good shape. I put them all pointy end down in an egg carton and was planning to leave them for 24 hours to let the air bubble stabilize - this is what I have seen as the consensus in looking around for what to do to hatch. I was checking just now to see what I could see since I've never had hatching eggs before and I could see the air bubble moving around when I moved the egg. I also see tons of little little spots all over the eggs when candling. Is this normal? Is this just the air bubble being broken up from shipping? The genius at the post office who went back to get my package tossed it around pretty bad in the few seconds he had it so I can't imagine what the box went through on it's way here.

All of the eggs seem to have these hard little dots on the outside of their shells. They almost look like little sap dropplets. they are clear in color and sticky to the touch, a couple of them stuck tot eh egg carton! I broke the first one, then the second one I chipped a piece of the shell trying to get it off. The third I tried to wash away from the carton and that one chipped as well. What could this sticky substance be? Have I done something wrong? Is my whole batch bad? Just super worried, so any ideas would be great!

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

It doesn't sound right. Do they smell? I have seen eggs weep in the bator after a week or more but never before they were started. I would sniff them and if they don't smell, go ahead and try them in the bator, but don't get your hopes too high. What have you got to lose by giving it a shot? Good luck!

3. kukupecpec

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    Is it bad if they weep in the bator later?

The lady who sent them says she thinks they froze and then weep when they thaw. She offered a replacement shipment next week with a heating pad next time.

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Yes, weeping is never good, usually it means the eggs are bad.

That was very generous of her and I would take her up on it. Remember that she should not be held responsible for what happens to them after she sends them.

5. kukupecpec

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    Oh I know it's not her fault! I was only emailing her to ask what that little sappy things were and if it was normal. After she heard that all but a couple had significant weeping she offered to send a replacement. I didn't expect it, but it is extremely generous of her. Since this is my first hatch I was really just asking questions.

I kept the three that had no signs of it and two that I am unsure if they are weeping or just got weeped ON by others because they don't have as many spots in the incubator. Any ideas how long I should leave them until I can tell if they are truly toast?

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

They only need to rest for 24 hours after being shipped. I would go ahead and start them in the bator.

7. kukupecpec

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    How long should i leave them in the incubator until I can tell if they need to get tossed?

8. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Watch and sniff, you should be able to tell. You can candle them at 10 days if you are not sure and see if anything is developing.

9. kukupecpec

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    Alright. Thank you so much! This has been a huge help.

10. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    If your eggs are light colored you will likely even be able to tell if there is development before the 10 day mark. Often on very light eggs you can see development at 3-4 days but darker shells take longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by