Strange Strange Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlittle1980, May 12, 2010.

1. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    Ok i have seen pictures of broody hens.... My hen Spot walks around the back yard all puffed up wings out etc........She is not sitting on any egss but she does lay could she be trying to go broody?

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Is she making odd sounds too??? She may very well be "thinking about" going broody. My only hen to go broody began acting funny about two days before she began sitting. She then laid for two days, and then stopped laying.

3. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    no strange sounds she does do this low and slow cluking thing and this is been going on a week other than her strange behavior everything is going great

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    sounds like she may be on the verge of going broody. Mine did that too before going broody, watch for other signs like plucking her chest bare and being REALLY grumpy! Mine did more of a high pitched wail, not a low clucking, but my hen is a little cuckoo.

Congrats on your potention mother to be!

5. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    if she does go broody is it ok to leave her in the coop with the others? I am really new I dont have a bator so she will just have to hatch them her self

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If she goes broody, you can leave her in there until the eggs hatch. Many move them at that point, in case the others don't take well to the chicks (chicks have been killed by aggressive adults). You'll want to make sure that food and water are within close reach, as they don't tend to take care of themselves when they are broody. I took my broody off the nest every day (usually 2x a day) to encourage her to poop, eat and drink. She still weighs next to nothing now...lost a LOT of weight. I'd take treats to her daily as well to get some nutrients in her.

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

My hen did that weird puffing up with her wings spread out thing! THEN she went broody. She hatched out 3 sweet peeps April 22,23,& 24. That 3 weeks of her setting felt like 3 months to me.[​IMG]

8. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    Lets keep our fingers crossed she does ....oh an after 21 days there are babies I would bring then in scared somthing would happen to them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by