Strange swelling under one eye- no other symptoms. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Britt007, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Britt007

Britt007 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Nashville
    [​IMG] Maggie is feeling great, eating, laying but has this odd swelling under her right eye. I tried Tylan 10 injections for 5 days in case it was the beginning of CRD or possibly an infection of some kind. Any ideas on something topical I might try. All the hens(including her 2 sisters) from the family where I bought her, a few months ago, are fine. When I look at the first photo I took of her while she was still in the box, I can see a very, very slight swelling I hadn't noticed- meaning, I guess this swelling has been going for about 2 months.

Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. xmonster0

xmonster0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    been there with 2 of my birds , one was a silkie roo, the other was a royal palm hen

never did figure out what it was , tried everything short of a vet, ended up putting em down

as time goes on the chicken will go blind as the swelling will reach o over the eye and glaze it with a weired foamyness

then basically you will feel like i did , horrible, if you want to save her see a vet, as tylan did absolutely nothing

3. Britt007

Dec 5, 2013
    Nashville
    thanks for responding. I'm so sorry about your hens. I'm gonna make an appointment with a vet who deals with chickens. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I had a hen like that too. It turned out, for me at least, it wasn't an infection but instead one of my other chickens was picking on her and pulling her cheek. When I found out what was going on and fixed the problem it went away. If it's not responding to antibiotics then it isn't likely an infection.

5. Britt007

Dec 5, 2013
    Nashville
    Thanks, Feathered Friends. It's a long story, but she's the only hen. I originally bought her as a friend to my other hen- but realized that hen was sick, probably some kind of CRD,- and the sick hen has been living in our home for 3 months.- and improving a lot.
    I really appreciate BYC and having people to brainstorm with.

6. Britt007

Dec 5, 2013
    Nashville
    Xmonster,
    I wanted to follow up although I don't have any real diagnosis. I brought my hen to the vet who said although she didn't have any respiratory symptoms, it still could be related- although as I said, none of the chickens from where she came from are sick now or before. The vet also said it could be a tumor. I've got two days of an injectable steroid and then I guess I'll watch it. The next step is to lance it and drain it if that's something we decide to do. Ay yiyiyiyiyiy.

7. xmonster0

xmonster0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    i personally draw the line just before the whole lance and drain thing, why make the poor chicken suffer, its not like the vets give you pain killers for them, they have to suffer it out, i just think its better to put em down rather than make em suffer

8. Britt007

Dec 5, 2013
    Nashville
    I completely understand that way of thinking. Maybe someone else will chime in and let me know if they've had success with the lancing. To me, if the hen would be in pain for a short time but live a long, happy life- it might be an option. The vet just said to keep an eye on it. It seems to have gone down a little and I guess we'll figure it out. I agree, I don't want any animal to suffer.

Thanks and good luck with all your chickens!!

9. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    It wouldn't hurt to wait and see what happens, don't lance unless your absolutely sure what your dealing with. Its most likely some kind of disease.

10. Britt007

Dec 5, 2013
    Nashville
    Yeah. The vet said a swelling like this can be a virus that can turn into cancer. So I'll just see.
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by