Strange symptoms Please help

FuzzyButtsFarm

Rest in Peace 1950-2013
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Lake Wales, Polk Co. Fl
'This chick hatched 11/1. It had a balance problem at first like the other chicks but it has continued and doesn't seem to be getting any better. It waves its legs wildly to try and get back up over compensating at times ending up on it's other side. Then in frustration it just lays there legs extended with a slight tremor. When it calms down it can get upright. It eats drinks and poops normaly. Only one of the other chicks had this problem but it only lasted a day or so. None of the 13 other chicks are picking on it in fact they try to help and protect it. Ive tryed vitamins, electrolytes and sugar water. Oh it was the last to hatch. What could this be?
idunno.gif

Sorry it posted on the wrong index

Last edited:
Might be a minor vitimin deficency, you could try some poly-visol (no iron) on the side of the beak. Probably only one drop 2x a day for such a small chick.

What kind of vitamins did you use. I had an older chicken with those exact same symptoms and I went to feed store told him and e gave me a bag with a powder to add to the water and about a week she was great.

Are you using poly-visol without iron? I don't think they get enough of the type you put into their water when they're having these kind of problems.

What breed is this chick? It may be neurological problems. But if it does eventually right itself and can function to a certain extent, that's a good sign. i would keep up the extra vitamins, the Polyvisol without iron is good. Also, some extra protein like mashed hard boiled eggs are good. i give that to all my babies for the first four weeks.

Sometimes they grow out of this, with the proper nutrition. If it is a neurological problem you will be able to tell better as it gets older. But all you can do now is keep up the extra care and see what happens. Keep us posted.

She's doing better. Steadier on her feet but she's still losing her balance. I've been giving her mashed egg yolk with a vitamin powder no iron and probios powder. I feed them all Dumor 20% starter crumbles and water with ACV which she eats well on her own.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
hu.gif
No one is picking on her, so far so good. Oh she's a mutt. Daddy is a RIR. Ma Ma is a Black Star.

Back
Top Bottom