Strange tail feathers on my hen... is this normal? (pics)

CrazyForCochins927

Songster
9 Years
Oct 31, 2010
Green Bay, Wisconsin
One of my 4 mo old standard cochin hens has some strange tail feathers, and I was wondering if it was normal, or if they are getting at each other? It seems like 1 or 2 of her feathers are sticking straight up. I am not sure if it is the other hens pecking at her, or if it is our rooster trying to be amorous with her.
love.gif
I got all of my chickens at the same time, so they are all the same age. She tends to have the reddest face of all of the females, so I think she is the most mature, and wouldn't be surprised if it was the rooster. Does anyone have these type of feathers on their hens?

70917_sweet_pea_012.jpg

70917_sweet_pea_008.jpg

70917_sweet_pea_007.jpg

70917_sweet_pea_001.jpg

Last edited:
i had a 4 month old brahma with tail feathers like that. had me very worried for a long time. she is a hen though. the feathers smoothed out.

Could it be she's molting? Mine have tail feathers looking like that as they're coming back in. One or two appear to just stick out like that since they're lacking the full complement.

Quote:
That could be possible. I did notice some larger feathers in the coop lately. I was just worried that the other hens were pecking at her. She is one that comes and sits on my lap a lot. So I didn't know if she was bottom of the chain and being picked on. That, or she was being mated with.

Back
Top Bottom