Strange tail feathers on my hen... is this normal? (pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyForCochins927, Jan 12, 2011.

1. CrazyForCochins927

CrazyForCochins927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    One of my 4 mo old standard cochin hens has some strange tail feathers, and I was wondering if it was normal, or if they are getting at each other? It seems like 1 or 2 of her feathers are sticking straight up. I am not sure if it is the other hens pecking at her, or if it is our rooster trying to be amorous with her. [​IMG] I got all of my chickens at the same time, so they are all the same age. She tends to have the reddest face of all of the females, so I think she is the most mature, and wouldn't be surprised if it was the rooster. Does anyone have these type of feathers on their hens?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I do not know much about cochins but it looks like she is just getting tail feather. I have several hens with tails like this {different breeds}

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You sure that's a pullet and not a slowly developing cockeral?

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Do I see saddle feathers?

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Its perfectly normal . . . for a cockerel.

6. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    i had a 4 month old brahma with tail feathers like that. had me very worried for a long time. she is a hen though. the feathers smoothed out.

7. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    I am pretty sure she is a she. Here is a pic of her about a week ago next to the rooster her same age.

[​IMG]

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Could it be she's molting? Mine have tail feathers looking like that as they're coming back in. One or two appear to just stick out like that since they're lacking the full complement.

9. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    Quote:That could be possible. I did notice some larger feathers in the coop lately. I was just worried that the other hens were pecking at her. She is one that comes and sits on my lap a lot. So I didn't know if she was bottom of the chain and being picked on. That, or she was being mated with.

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    that's wierd... let us know if "she" starts crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by