1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange tasting eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by truechick, Apr 12, 2009.

1. truechick

truechick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Garden City, MO
    I'm hoping tha some one call help me figure out whatis causing this. Some of my eggs are tasting like old fish. [​IMG] Not all of them but often enough that you are afraid to eat them. I haven't changed any thing. The same food and treats as always. They did get into some styrofoam. We've had alot of rain but the still go outside if it's not pouring. HELP!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

truechick,
    Boy, I'm not sure. Is it possible that the ingredients in their food has changed? Or maybe something in your kitchen? Hoping that others will come along with more experience.

Imp-Sometimes I think olive oil smells fishy.

3. truechick

Oct 30, 2008
    Garden City, MO
    I use Layena pellets and Nutrena scratch. I don't think any thing has changed there. The only thing we can figure is the styrofoam.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    You know, my girls went on strike with the most recent bag of layena, and I wonder if they don't occasionally change the ingredients and just keep the nutritional ratios the same...I'm not sure about the flavor, as I've not eaten any eggs alone lately- they're in other foods.

5. truechick

Oct 30, 2008
    Garden City, MO
    I finished the bag yesterday but the next one was purchased at the same time. Do you think maybe I should try not giving it to them and see if it goes away? My rooster has been acting like he doesn't feel well either.

6. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

So I get you're not feeding them any seafood....

Are you feeding them flax? Too much flax will give a fishy flavor.

Sandra

7. truechick

Oct 30, 2008
    Garden City, MO
    No flax. Just your nomal run of the mill chicken food, table scraps, and whatever they can find outside. Are there any common plants that might cause this?

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's not common, but there is a mushroom that smells like rotting shrimp or fish. It's called the Shrimp Mushroom (Russula xerampelina) It is found under conifers.
    Had a friend that used to pick and eat them. Why? I don't know.
    Sorry to wander a little off topic, but you got me stumped.
    Imp/Russ

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Unless you are feeding them tuna or salmon, I would have no idea. Got me stumped.

10. truechick

Oct 30, 2008
    Garden City, MO
    I can't aford to feed me tuna or salmon. I like fish, but this is gross. Isell my eggs, I need to find out what this is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by