Strange textured egg shape something

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ki4wvv, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ki4wvv

ki4wvv New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    My wife went out to open up the hen house and collect what eggs might have been laid this am. What she found is in the pics. The texture is like ground meat and the shape of an egg. Once I dissected the strange object, it looked like a lot of tiny seeds or something with a solid encasement around the outside. There was no smell, no blood, no mucus. There was no egg shell or yellow coloring like a yolk. There are a few pine shavings stuck on the outside and also one little weed. This was from the nesting box. Thought that maybe the insides were coming out of the chicken. However, they all looked very healthy and spunky. The hens that laid this was about a 31/2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

year old Rhode Island Red. Has anyone ever seen something like this? We do not have any roosters so the eggs will not be fertile.

2. Beulah89

Beulah89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! That's weird as! Nope haven't seen anything like it!

3. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Oh my goodness!! I would like to say there is no way......im blown away!!!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, sometimes the egg machine goes wonkers, especially with very young and older layers.
    Never seen anything like this tho, hope someone can give you a better answer.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is an uneducated guess, but instead of being from the reproductive tract like internal laying products, I would guess that is undigested food that has traveled through the digestive tract. But I would think it would smell. Too bad you don't know which one passed it, so you could watch them.

6. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting, I have heard of similar stories, the "egg" looks like a meatball. ;D

7. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I think your chickens were attempting to bake cookies. do they have access to cookie sheets and chocolate chips? :)

8. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    The cookie tin waterer. Lol hahaha

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I think it's called a 'lash' found some stuff on UK forum, not uncommon, part of the reproductive system sloughed off usually older hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by