Strange tiny egg pops out of duck after drake mounts her

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BuskerDoo, Jun 21, 2011.

1. BuskerDoo

BuskerDoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    [​IMG]

Okay, this is kinda weird but here's what happened.
    Last night as I went to the coop to call in our birds, I saw our cayuga drake mount our cayuga duck out in the yard. This is quite unusual for them to mate out of water. When they were through I noticed on the ground on a wet spot a teeny tiny egg.
    Anyone ever known this to happen? It popped right out just as he withdrew.
    This morning I was worried because I didn't hear her usual early a.m. quacking and when i found her she is puffed up, walks uncomfortably and her vent is oozing slightly white liquid.
    She also has a watery eye.
    She is not her normal self and barely went foraging for breakfast.
    WHat could be wrong?
    Is there anything I can do to help her?
    Any advice would be so appreciated
    Thanks

2. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Thats wierd. I dont know though....was it her first time? (from a duck novice)

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    What age is the female?
    Was this her first egg?
    Could she be eggbound?

My ducks breed out of water quite frequently (khakis, runners, scovies) so I don't think that is too unusual. I don't have cayugas so I'm not sure if that is totally out of character for that breed.
    If she is just coming into maturity and hasn't laid that many eggs, it is not unusual for eggs to be small, soft, etc.

4. BuskerDoo

BuskerDoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    She is 1 yr old. As a cayuga, they are quite chest heavy and it's fairly unusual for them to breed on land so I've read.
    She daily layer since since January of this year. Eggs are large and well formed. Every morning there is an egg without fail.
    Yesterday she did not lay. And last night came the tiny egg right after he mounted her.
    This morning she is just sitting as though she is trying to lay an egg. Her breathing is labored too.
    Any advice on how to determine if she is egg bound? what should i look for?
    Thanks for all the insight!

5. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
  6. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Did i do something wrong? [​IMG] They deleted my post.

7. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:jk jk really though did i say something wrong?

8. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:I have a Cayuga hen and a Runner drake. They try to mate on land all the time, even though it NEVER works. Almost every morning, they try to mate next to their water bucket. It's almost like they know that some water is around and are hoping it'll work just this once! So I wouldn't be too worried about that aspect of your story. It DOES kind of sound like your duck might be egg bound, but I have no experience with that and wouldn't even begin to know what to do about it.

I just had a thought, though. Are you sure her breathing is labored, or is she just panting because of the heat? Where I live it's been REALLY hot lately and my ducks are panting left and right.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Oh yeah, good point. Where are you? My ducks and geese are panting even though there is plenty of shade and water.

10. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    It's hard to tell from the pictures but is the egg like a normal egg that went through the whole egg factory?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by