Strange Turkey Accident

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
i can only guess how it happened. i had a plastic milk crate in the turkey pen, up against the fence where there was a small break in the bottom of a couple of boards. Set it there over a year ago thinking i would eventually repair that small gap. It was sitting upside down.

Yesterday early evening, i went looking for our turkey hen, Berni. Saw the milk crate on its end, with the opening up against the fence. i could see brown feathers inside. Ran to turn it over and out poured Berni. She was all scrunched up in there and when i helped her out, she couldn't walk, and had a sore bloody spot on her neck.

Took her out of the pen so Tom wouldn't bother her and put her in a hutch in our shed. i cleaned and put Blu-Kote on her neck. My husband made her drink some water. This morning she still can't stand. i held her up and felt her legs and they don't feel broken. Thinking they are just sprained from being crunched in that crate for . . . . who knows how long.

i'm pondering giving her some metacam. i have some liquid from the last time i took a sick chicken to the vet. Has anyone given metacam to their turkey? Other than fresh water and yummy food, like hard boiled eggs, are there any other suggestions for helping her recover and get her strength back?

Mine got into the center of a roll of 2x4 no climb fence. They figure out ways to get in trouble.

Sounds good, separate her, take care, watch for issues with the legs.

My hen developed labored breathing so i took her to my vet. She died. My vet mentioned "shock lung". She must have damaged or had continued pressure on her lungs when she got trapped in that milk crate. She seemed okay last night, other than not being able to stand, which i attributed to having her legs in a compromised position. My vet said the shock lung can come on very quickly, which explains her fast decline this morning.

Anyhow, i feel just terrible. It was such a strange accident. i shouldn't have had that milk crate in there.

Poor Tom is all alone now.
sad.png

Honestly, who would have thought a milk crate was dangerous? I'm sorry for your loss.
Maybe she was hiding from an overzealous Tom and he bumped it onto her? Who knows.
I had to rescue a poult of the 2nd story roof a few days ago. They're nutz!

Sorry for your loss! Crazy stuff like this happens sometimes. As for the Metacam on turkeys, I have never used NSAID's in birds so that should be a vet question all the way.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. i don't think she was hiding from Tom. Although he would follow her all day long, he wasn't aggressive at all and would wait for her to lay down. i think it was just a freak accident. i will have to be more vigilant in keeping my pens safe.

Back
Top Bottom