Strange turn of events

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wise Woman, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Hi everyone. I haven't posted here for a while due to some things going on in my life. I spent all last winter planning and designing my new coop. Then husband informs me he doesn't want to build it, he wants to buy a resin shed instead. Ok, so I re-design the coop interior to go with a 7x7 resin shed. Which I was not happy about, but did come up with a great plan. So at the end of June, husband quit his job to manage a store. He began working from 5:30 am until 9:30 pm, 7 days a week. This was a nightmare which left me to handle all the chores of the house, garden, animals and my daughter. He became exhausted and so did I. The situation at the store became a nightmare and he decided to go back to his old job, which luckily is taking him back, but at a pay cut, which I am not happy about. So here it is October and I still have no new coop, resin or otherwise. My boss was going to run new water lines and he still hasn't come to do that either and guess what? They are calling for possible snow tomorrow in our area. Things were looking pretty bleak around here.

But then, about 3 weeks ago, we found a foreclosed home that we love and even though it needs a ton of work, the asking price was so cheap that we bid on it and are now in escrow! So we are going to be moving in a couple of months. Luckily, this house is just a few houses down from were we live now, so we can move slowly and take our time. I had to tell my boss not to come and do the water lines at my current house and he then asked me what was I going to do with the 8x16 shed that my husband had built at our current house for my soap business? Leave it, I guess. He said, "No, we can move that for you." So we are now going to move the shed and use it as our new coop! Can you believe that? It is a beautiful shed that is insulated and has double paned windows in it. It is 8 ft wide and 16 ft long and has 16 feet of counter top already installed, which I can remove if I want to. And when I am ready, my boss said they will come and install new water lines where ever I want them at my new place.

I am thrilled. I went from a 6x6 raised coop plan to a 7x7 resin shed coop plan and now I will be getting an 8x16 ft shed for my coop. This is fabulous. All I will have to do is convert the inside for chicken use instead of soap making and we will be all set. The new house has a block wall that runs the whole length of the property, so that will eliminate fencing on one side of the pen as well. So now, we will only have to build an 8x8 goat house and install some fencing! The chickens will have a bigger, nicer coop than I ever dreamed they would have. I guess all the delays and everything we went through this summer were all leading up to this. Had my husband not taken the other job, we would not have had money put away to fix up this house and had my boss been more on the ball, I would have paid to run lines that I now don't need. So the money I had saved for that job will go to the new house as well. Anyway, we are getting a bigger yard with this house and the animal pen will most likely be closer to our house so that I don't have to trudge through the snow to get to them. I can't wait for escrow to close so we can get started!

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    It's good things are working out, but what in the world is a resin shed. I that a material it's made of?

3. beth14kk9

beth14kk9 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    See! We never know what great things might be in store for us just around the corner! So cool for you! Enjoy.

4. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Congratulations! I love a happy beginning! (As opposed to a happy "ending," which this is FAR from!)

I'm in the process of gathering ideas for my first coop even as we speak. If someone told me I could have an 8x16 coop, I'd have to think pigs were about to fly. [​IMG]

Best of luck to you in everything you've got going on!

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Congrats... Looks like you live a blessed life.

6. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes, no matter how hard things seem. No matter how crappy life feels. Life has a way of becoming more than we could ever have dreamed.
    Best of luck.
    Congratulation and God Bless.

7. Quote:think "rubbermaid" shed at lowes

8. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Thanks everyone. It has been a very bizarre year, that is for sure. The house we are purchasing is about half the price of our current house, so we will be ok even with my husbands pay cut. Looking back, it would be easy to say he should have never quit and went to the store, but it is all water under the bridge now and we have to move forward. Since our new house already has two sheds and a carport and they have electricity run to them, we don't need my soap shed for storage. I was going to leave it with our house, but it is the first real thing my husband every built and he is very attached to it! LOL!! So he wants to move it and save himself the trouble of building a new coop. It might cost the as much as a resin shed to move it, but since it is so big and well built, it will be worth it. We got another offer today from someone to move it so now we have two local options for that. And my boss will still come to our new house and run water lines for me so eventually I will have my hose bib at my coop. The new house will be a ton of work, but it is the type of house I have wanted all along, so it will be worth all the work in the end. Here is a picture of my shed that we will be moving! It was taken last winter.

[​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:[​IMG] Congratulations on finding a new home AND a new coop!! [​IMG] I will be subscribing to see how it turns out! [​IMG] We're root'in for ya girl!! [​IMG]

~Aspen

10. tritty74

tritty74 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Yeah!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by