Strange wheezing/gurgle from hen????

Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Seabeck, Washington
I went out to give treats this afternoon and somebody was making a weird noise. Turned out to be my bantam cochin girl. She was eating up treats and acting normal, but was emiting this odd wheeze, gurgle sound. She wasn't opening her mouth or anything. If you didn't hear it, you wouldn't know it was her. I picked her up and checked her crop (mind you, I'm new at this and haven't a clue what I'm doing). It looked and felt full, but was squishy not hard. I massaged it a bit like I've read on other posts. It really sounded like a sickly honk/ wheeze. As if with her breathing. When I closed them in tonight, she was up on the roost and quiet. Does anyone know what's up?
Thanks!

When you close them up, how much ventilation is your coop getting?
I thought mine had plenty, it's 12x12 and the pop hole is never closed, but one of my bantams started that. I think, despite frequent cleaning, the ammonia was bothering him. I removed him for the safety of the others. It's taken two weeks and antibiotics to clear him up.
I also cut vents under the eaves for extra ventilation.

Last edited:
Sounds respitory to me. Without using shots or pills for respitory illnesses, I'd first try some Vicks Salve around her throat , neck, legs and under the wings. I use VetRX personally. You can hold the head way back and drop one drop of VetRX in each nasal cavity inside the throat once a day for three days. Then take a cotton ball and put some VetRX on it. Rub all the red parts of their face and comb with VetRX. Also rub a little under each wing then clean their legs good with the cotton ball.Don't get it in their eyes. It probably stings.

I agree, VetRx is wonderful. Everyone should keep it on hand. It is not that expensive and is worth every penny. I put it on the comb and let it run down. Also under the wings. Good luck.

Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION
smile.png

It's an 8x8 shed that they have use of half of. It is all open under the eves and it's not insulated so it's far from "tight". So I don't think it's a ventilation problem. We had some freezing temps and snowy weather for a few weeks, so they have spent more time indoors. She in particular likes to roost during the day. The past two weeks have been back to normal with temperant weather though. I've been doing the deep litter thing since the freeze hit. Definately in need of a clean out, but I use stall dry so it really stays pretty dry and not too stinky. If it is resperitory, will it clear up after the source us taken care of?

Mr. Frizzles Hen House :

It's an 8x8 shed that they have use of half of. It is all open under the eves and it's not insulated so it's far from "tight". So I don't think it's a ventilation problem. We had some freezing temps and snowy weather for a few weeks, so they have spent more time indoors. She in particular likes to roost during the day. The past two weeks have been back to normal with temperant weather though. I've been doing the deep litter thing since the freeze hit. Definately in need of a clean out, but I use stall dry so it really stays pretty dry and not too stinky. If it is resperitory, will it clear up after the source us taken care of?

Mine wasn't airtight either. I have five windows (hinged at the top and not caulked) a house door and the open pop hole. I thought that was plenty.

I read that you should get down close to the litter (eeewww!) and just breathe it in for awhile. If you can detect the ammonia, your chickens' exposure is extremely concentrated.

I also read that their lungs will usually heal in about two weeks after the problems are fixed.

I don't know if this is what is causing your girl's problem but it seems similiar to mine. I just don't want you to spend panicked hours googling for answers like I did.

I have since cut 3 vents in the wall below the roof peak approx. 4x8 inches each. It's made a big difference. I was stripping my coop down to the bare floor every 10 days as well.
Hope this is a help.​

Thanks chick-n-farmer! I just read your link. Great info. Now I'm not sure if I have enough ventilation. Now that I think about it, I was getting condensensation on the inside of the roof towards the end of the cold snap. I thought it was because of all the snow that had been sitting on top trying to melt. It's gone now, but I guess I really need to get that litter out and consider more vents. I love this forum! Everyones so helpful. I'm hoping she's ok in the am. I'll have an action plan by then:)

You are very welcome, but that link was from patandchickens.

I just read it today myself! Then of course I had to send her a PM to say I didn't use a reciprocating saw.... I used a chainsaw!

I cut the extra vents last week, but her link confirmed for me that I was on the right track.

Good luck and let us know how things go!

Back
Top Bottom