Strange whistling sound when clucking, perhaps a breathing problem?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elfwyn, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Elfwyn

Elfwyn New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    My 3 month old Dark Brahma "Hero" has been making some strange whistling sounds.

I first noticed it last saturday when I picked her up she was trying to make her normal cooing/ clucking sounds but they were coming out very faint, and there was a sort of whistling sound too. She seemed to be fine otherwise, eating and drinking and running around like the others. Also she doesn't seem to have any discharge from her eyes or nose.

Then I noticed that she had some blood in her stool and so I called the store where I got her, and they recomended I worm with wazine 7. So I did that, but she doesn't seem to be getting better. She still is acting normal but there is a less of a sound, perhaps not even a soft whistle when she talks (though she is making other sounds somehow or other) I can't really tell if she's having trouble breathing, maybe!??!?!? [​IMG]

She pants through out the day, but all of my chickens are doing that now since it's 95+ degrees here in Texas, so it's hard to tell weather she's doing it more than normal.

Please help, I'm fairly new to all this and I have no idea what to do!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I had a pullet doing something similar and she was egg bound but her funny noise corresponded with pushing - poor dear took 3 days to deliver that egg. She didn't enjoy the spa day treatments to help her either.

You can also use some antibiotic and treat all your flock for a few days. Respitory ailments spead fast and are awful. - just you don't eat the eggs - hard boil them and feed them back to the flock. You can worm them all at the same time too.

They do pant when it gets hot. I am in Jacksonville FL and I run a mister for them when the temp goes way up and I put ice in the waterers. You can also give them cold watermelon - helps cool them off,

Caroline

3. Elfwyn

Elfwyn New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    What sort of antibiotic would I give them? Is there a particular one for respitory problems?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by