Strange wispy feather growth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Courtburr, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Courtburr

Courtburr In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2018
    This is not a typical butt feather problem, nor is it necessarily a problem at all, but one of my Wyandottes has started growing very long, wispy feathers on her fluff butt and thighs. Some of them resemble down feathers, while some have a visible shaft, except it's very thin and elongated compared to the normal, more compact feathers. I even noticed one forming up on her shoulder/neck area. They look like they've come loose and just hanging there as they are a few inches beyond the rest of the feathers. I noticed a couple a few months ago, but now there are a lot of them!

Anyone ever seen such a weird thing? I tried googling it, but wasn't able to come up with anything that looks or sounds even close to this. It makes me wonder if there is an underlying medical issue or deficiency that is causing the new feathers to be deformed. If it's something treatable or contagious, I really want to know!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    azygous and Saaniya like this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I haven’t seen anything like that before. Hopefully others will have a look and comment. Just wondering, did both hens in the picture just have curled under toes for that moment, or are they having them a lot? I would have a look at the skin at the base of those odd feathers to see if the skin looks normal.

azygous and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. Courtburr

Courtburr In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2018
    As I ponder this more, I am thinking bigger picture.....for any other clues as to what's going on. I have noticed that this bird is much more docile and generally just not as active as the others. This fall, there were actually some days I was concerned there was something wrong with her as she'd sit in the coop most of the day while the others were out tearing around the yard. But overall, she has seemed ok. The only other thing that stands out with her is the fact that she's been slower to mature/lay eggs than her "sister" of the same breed and age. She's finally starting to get some red to her wattles and around the eyes, but no eggs that I'm aware. Her comb has always been pale pink and kind of crusty/dry looking. Her sister on the other hand has a nice fleshy bright red comb. I haven't thought much of it as I know some mature at slightly different rates and no two combs and such will be alike.

azygous likes this.
  4. Courtburr

Courtburr In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2018
    I think just the one in question happened to be holding up her foot at that time. I don't see another one with their foot up. It's kind of cold here today, but not bad and have had their door open all day. They pick up their feet occasionally to warm them. I consider that normal and their feet look fine.

azygous likes this.
  5. Courtburr

Courtburr In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2018
    Comb and wattle pics....

Wattles and areas around the eyes have gotten decent color to them. The comb is just a little pale and dry looking, but nothing obviously abnormal looking. Am I blind to something obvious here? Help? :idunno

Attached Files:

azygous likes this.
  6. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017

These kind of feathers are generally genetics so we can't do anything with that
    Chicken feather color design mainly come from their parents gene history

dawg53, azygous, Eggcessive and 2 others like this.
  7. Courtburr

Courtburr In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2018
    So you've seen these type of feathers before?!? :fl I wish I could find some even vaguely similar pictures online. All I want to make sure of is that the chicken lives a long, happy and healthy life. I've been so worried she had some sort of vitamin or protein deficiency, which would seem odd as I don't feed them much for scraps and get a commercially produced organic layer feed.

azygous likes this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I was thinking along the same line as @Saaniya genetics.

Did you hatch these yourself? Where did they come from a hatchery or local breeder?
    If from a breeder, what other breeds of birds do they have?

azygous and Saaniya like this.
  9. Courtburr

Courtburr In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2018
    I got these two from a somewhat local farm when they were 3 months old. They order an assortment of breeds from one of the major hatcheries.....I think he said Murray McMurray.

azygous likes this.
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Interesting.
    Well, I would check her over as suggested for any odd scabs or lesions on the skin.

By any chance have you treated them for worms and used any other medication that might account for odd feather development?

dawg53 and azygous like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: