strange...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Coupe, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Its around 11pm...i heard my chickens making noise, so of course i let the dogs out while i get my jacket on to see whats going on. I get out to the coop and noticed the run door was unlached...my 6 SLW hens (they dont sleep in the coop but sleep in the run on a perch) where scattered about the run and 1 SLW hen was up on top of the runs bird netted roof. There are tail feathers on the ground in the run and feathers stuck to the fence where the 6 roost. My dogs had caught the trail of somthing and ran off into the woods,but when called came back. I dont know how in the world the one hen got out of the run and stuck in the netting on top...or how the door was unlatched. I didnt let them out to free roam today, so i never opened the runs door...
    My first thought was a racoon but when i noticed the door was unlatched and a hen on the netting...it worries me that somone was in there...
    Its very strange.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They say that raccoons can unlock everything except a combination lock LOL. (I am kidding but seriously folks joke about it.)

I hope whoever/whatever it was doesn't come back! Game cam time!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  3. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Iv had a racoon problem a while ago..but they never unlatched the door. The door is hard to open..you have to put your foot under it and lift up then unlatch it lol..the dogs this morrning where still going crazy around the coop.
    I put my havaheart trap out there today, so hopefully i catch whatever it was (if it was an animal)

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like a chicken thief. Ugh.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  5. So sorry :(

Someone came in and tore my latches, locks and handles off my silkies cage and stole all of them. A person, not a coon.

6. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Could you put a lock on the chicken coop? So you can lock it up at night with a key or something! A good Idea is ,if you have sand around your coop ,you could rake it and see what prints there are in the morning! We did this while we still lived in Omaruru where thieves climbed over our fence and stole some garden chairs! It worked great because our entire yard was mostly sand and we had no grass! If I found out someone was trying to steal my chicken I would go berserk! I don't trust anyone except my mom with my chicken! My dad I trust a little bit but he only thinks of them as food! Hope you find what or who the cause is for this!

7. TimBaumann

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    What?? If anyone would steal my chicken I would hunt them down and beat them up soooooooooooooo bad! Must have been horrible for you!

8. Yea.... They were the first chickens we had too :(

9. TimBaumann

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Aw man! I know what that feels like! My dog killed my first 4 chicken!

10. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    i have five doors on my runs and coop.all have padlocks on them.my dh has a nephew and niece.and they come to visit their aunt who lives next door to us.and they are always trying to get in the chickens run.so i locked my girls in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by