Stranger chickens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OhMyItsAndyy, Dec 30, 2009.

1. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    So, when i got my new chicks, i was having a good chat with the guy. Well, i showed him my remaining hen, fudge (By photograph), and he said he would like to breed his roo's with her as she is VERY pretty.
    I thought about it and actually, when she is llaying, wouldn't mind that.
    However, she doesn't know any of his roo's, but i don't know if that would affect it, they don't really have a "breeding season" do they?

Any ideas?

2. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    pretty much nothing bad could come out of it, roos will actually try and mate as much as they can with as many females just so they could be the most dominant and so most of their chicldren will be the roosters, furthering his genes. It would also be pretty cool if you were to incubate those eggs because you would get a pretty cool looking bird. if i were you, i would do it.

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

The time when a hen is most likely to brood is around March/April- September/ October time, however as you may have gathered some people have broodies in winter. Also a cockerel will slow the mating with the hen down after the 'breeding season', but may continue (as mine does).

If the hen doesn't really know the roosters, then a few days together to sort out the pecking order should be good, and then a few extra days should also be allowed for the eggs produced to be fertile from the rooster- perhaps a couple of weeks at most.

Good luck [​IMG]
    It's a win-win situation in my opinion [​IMG]

Edited to add in some extra details [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  4. rocketdog312

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Quote:thats incorrect, a cockeral will mate with a hen any time or season. i have living proof in my backyard.
    and while most hens sit during warmer periods, todays hens are mostly bred for egg production so they will lay eggs all year round. consequently roosters mate with the hens who produce the most eggs the most. then because of that, hen will set almost any time of the year.

if you require some proof. there is a study done on this behavior

oh, and hope you make a good descision on this, OP!

5. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Cool. I'll talk to him then. He's a good breeder so i can trust him with my hen, and too look after any of her babies =]

6. rocketdog312

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    sorry to be a drag eggsrcool, didn't read your edit [​IMG]

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    One thing to keep in mind if you choose to do this is whether or not you will take time to quarintine and the risk you run if you don't. This might be minimal since you are buying chicks from him already, but even healthy looking flocks can bring stuff in that they have built up resitance too, but could be devestating to your birds.

8. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:That's ok [​IMG]

After I posted it, I realized that my cockerel still mates with the hens occaisonally [​IMG]

9. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    This idea was discussed at length about a month ago, and if I remember correctly, it seemed most of the experienced 'chicken folks' suggested that it would be best to bring the rooster to your hen, rather than taking your hen to the rooster, for a number of very good reasons. I will see if I can find the thread, and I'll post a link if I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by