Strangest pet you or someone you know has owned?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by reveriereptile, Feb 11, 2009.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I'm curious at what types of strange pets other people own.

The only strange ones I owned were a newt, African fat-tailed gecko (similar to the leopard gecko), prey mantis', wolf spiders I caught in the house, leopard moth (very pretty), sugar gliders, baby snapping turtle that was sick but didn't make it, and raised a blue jay that a cat killed the parents and knocked the nest out of the tree.

The pets I know of other people owning would be my father-in-law's camels, lamas he use to have, fallow deer, and use to have ostriches. His brother has buffalo, wild boars (he had them before they became illegal so he can still have them but can't sale or give them away), use to have bobcats, and their sister has a miniture horse.

Forgot to add that another woman I know has a pet piranha that was her sons. Had two but it ate the other one.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    When I was in high school I had the strangest pet -- chickens!! However, that's not so bizarre around BYC. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    we had llamas growing up. Got them to "foster" for a month after a area zoo closed. We had them for 6 months
    The younger had to be bottle fed. my mare was terrified of them and it took her a while to get used to them. But after she did they were friends and shared a pasture

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    I saw on Craigslist yesterday that someone was looking for a new home for their stingrays......I never heard of anyone keeping stingrays!

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    When I was a little girl I recall our neighbor having a squirrel as a pet. She rescued him from freezing to death on the side of the road. Once or twice she let me play with the squirrel (he was sweet and didn't bite) and I just thought it was the coolest pet. You don't see too many people these days with pet squirrels.

All I could think of while posting this was the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory girl... "Daddy, I want a squirrel!"

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I owned a rat and named it Plague I saved it at the end of the school year from the science lab.

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my cousins grandmother had a tarantula and my dad had a skunk as a kid.

8. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Hmmm where do i start!!
    Well....My very good friend used to resue exotic animals...and I dont mean exotic like "ferrets chinchillas and sugar gliders" I mean
    Lions
    Tigers
    YES even a bear one time and his name was Tonka
    Ummm.. Lynx
    Cougar
    Coatimundi
    Lemurs
    skunks
    raccoons
    wallabys
    capuchin monkeys
    Wolfs

These were all rescued at one time or another and ALL have either passed from old age or been sent to a sancuary (sp). Some of the conditions these poor things came from was HORRIBLE. I was lucky to have gotten to know each of them and help them get better and live a better life!!

9. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I've had a grey squirrel, 2 raccoons, and a oposum....

10. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    We had a nutria (coypu) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu She was the neatest pet. Really smart, loved to aggravate the dog. She escapted her pen one day and after that, she lived under the shed. She would come to the door every morning and cry for a biscuit. She loved to sit in your lap and get scratched. Really an amazing animal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by