Strangest poo I've ever seen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hodgepodge13, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Hodgepodge13

Hodgepodge13 In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2018
    This morning one of my Golden Laced Wyandottes pooped out what looked like a weird, squished, white, large-ish, gelatinous mushroom. It's wasn't diarrhea, it was a normal level of wet, but it almost looked like a hunk of white intestine. I couldn't get a picture of it because almost as soon as she discharged it the other chickens got in a brawl to devour it. I've looked through all the pictures at http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0 and none of them even remotely look like it. Anyone else encountered this before? The chicken seems entirely healthy otherwise, no feather loss, loss of appetite or lethargy.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures can really help. Sometimes hens will pass “lash eggs” which can be flesh colored masses from infection of the oviduct or salpingitis. You can Google them to see pictures. But if you can take a picture of the dropping we can help better.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. Hodgepodge13

Hodgepodge13 In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2018
    Yes, I would have liked to get a picture, but like I stated in the original post, the other chickens ate it within 5 seconds of her expelling the poo, and I didn't have any kind of camera on my person. I Googled lash eggs, and it was definitely not that. I'm going to be keeping an eye on her today and see if she does it again, and maybe I can get a picture.

4. coach723

coach723 Songster

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Is she acting normally otherwise? Since you know what bird it is I would crate her for today and watch for anything abnormal, and that should help you be able to get a picture if it happens again.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Since your hens were brawling to devour the "poo", then I would suspect what you were seeing was one variation or another of a soft shell egg, possibly with a "tail". Soft shell eggs can be very odd looking, but the other chickens seem to really want to eat them:hmm

Take a look at the following link - see if anything there looks similar:
    http://www.yellowbirchhobbyfarm.com/weird-eggs-101-the-oddities-explained/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by