Strangest things you've found in your chickens' crops or gizzards?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bobbi-j, Jul 29, 2014.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    We processed our 11 remaining Freedom Rangers today. I find it interesting to dissect their gizzards to see what they've been eating lately. I was in for a surprise today! Three of them had broken windshield glass in their gizzards! One of them was packed full with it. Another one had an elastic ponytail holder in its gizzard! Honestly - I have no idea where all that came from!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. LaurelC

LaurelC Songster

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    Do you let them out to free range at all? I was watching a video where someone noted that they had windshield glass also. I have found the occasional piece in compost I've bought from one of the local producers. Perhaps the shininess attracts them, and then they recognize it as a great grinding item? The hairband, I have no clue.

3. bobbi-j

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They are free ranged, yes. Er, were.... Anyway, I thought, too, it was the shiny factor. The hairband, I'm guessing was maybe mistaken for a worm. I just don't know how he got ahold of it!

4. LaurelC

LaurelC Songster

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    If you ever buy compost, maybe someone wrapped up something like flowers with a hairband, then tossed them in yard waste and they got composted? I've put stranger stuff in my yard waste bin!

5. bobbi-j

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't buy compost. It probably fell out of my pocket or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: