Strategies for the summer heat - building a modified springhouse

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SoftBoiled, Aug 10, 2013.

1. SoftBoiled

SoftBoiled Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    There's lots of information on here about how to protect your chickens from frostbite, but in my part of the world it's the temps in the 40's (ie 110-120F) that will kill the birds, and we experience those extremes every summer.

This thread is to collect and discuss ideas and approaches for dealing with the heat without using mechanical means (meaning air conditioning) or electricity.

I've been doing a little preliminary research on Springhouses - the pre-electricity refrigeration method: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_house. Whilst I don't have a spring handy, I do think that some variation of this could work to house chickens during the worst of the summer heat and keep them cool enough to survive.

My current concept is to just dig out a bit of a cellar, say 1.5m x 1.5m (6' x 6') or so square and down a couple of feet, line it with Besser block and top it with a roof that comes almost back to the ground, then make the roof a sod roof (or some other variation of a green roof).

What do you think of this idea? Happy to have any and all comments or criticisms since I am a bird of small brain and can't foresee all the possible problems.

What other strategies are out there? How do you help your birds with the heat?

Thanks in advance for contributing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by