1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strategy for constant egg supply

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blonde Swede, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Blonde Swede

Blonde Swede Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    North East Washington
    It there a formula or strategy for managing a flock too keep egg supply somewhat steady. For example, Ideally I'd like 10-12 eggs a day for my family. I have a young flock I started this spring, hatching ourselves April-June. We just started getting eggs from the older hens. I have 12 total hens right now and just curious as to how to plan for replacement pullets as we go along. Curious to know if there are folks that have a set hatching schedule based on maintaining egg supply

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    A lot of people start new chicks each spring, and plan a 2 year rotation, so there's always a group of new layers, as well as some seasoned layers. If you want lots of eggs, and to maximize your feed to egg ratio, you'll need to get rid of your older hens regularly and provide a light during the winter months. You'll also want to choose chickens well known for excellent production.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, lazy gardener summed it up nicely.

Chicks every spring, stew/soup every fall, and supplemental lighting every winter!

If you have newly laying pullets every fall, you might not need lighting in the winters, but most anything over a year old needs ~14 hours of lights in the winters to keep laying.

How do you plan on getting new chicks.... incubation, broody hen or purchased?

4. Blonde Swede

Blonde Swede Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    North East Washington
    We will be incubating! Its addicting. lol! I have a Swedish Flower hen project going, my rooster and 4 hens, different lines that I will be playing with building a flock of those, which gives me my fix in the genetic/purebred/ bloodline improvement area.... Then the rest of my hens are a mix. Some hatchery chicks that I got, and some hybrids/ mutts from eggs we hatched given to us by friends. They are here to make EGGS. I love the variety!
    [​IMG]

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Sounds like you are headed for a fun time.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Not sure what breeds you have, but let me be an advocate for broody raised chicks.

The above posters are correct, in that one must have new hens added yearly. My goal is 1/3 new chicks, 1/3 year + chicks, 1/3 2 year+...... that is the plan, seldom works quite like that.

But my point is that is a lot of integration. So you either need at least two complete coops and runs so that your chicks can grow to full size before entering the flock, or, you can have the broody hen raise them right in the flock with no integration problems.

Another trick that works, is one year get white egg layers, one year brown egg layers, and one year, green egg layers...... then you know immediately when the older birds start to lay less and less.

You must have a big family if you are eating 7 dozen a week! whew!

This hobby is crazy fun, and there are sorts of projects that you can do!

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by