Straw bale meatie pen; it's a bit rough but will it still work?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DanIndiana, Apr 30, 2011.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I attached these pics of this quick makeshift pen I made. Does anyone see any major problems with this? I secured the bales with lots of concrete block to keep any predators from trying to squeeze between the bales. I couldn't work my arm between the bales. It's only for 5-6 weeks, and I don't really care about the bales getting wet. I would love any input.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Are those broilers? If so there will be a LOT of poop in there and you may need to move it a couple of times. I know of several people around here that use old hay in a similar way and they pull it apart and move it to clean ground ocassionally.

3. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Good idea, but I agree that you are going to have LOTS of poop. I had 20 meaties in a 5x10 chicken tractor. During their last week of life I left the tractor in the same spot for 4 days (my work schedule got crazy busy), and the ground was one solid & thick cake of poop. I now have a large rectangle of dead grass in the middle of my side yard. [​IMG]

You could always break one of those bales apart and add straw bedding to the floor every other day. Once the meaties are done, shovel it all into the compost bin.

4. metbench1

metbench1 New Egg

Mar 13, 2010
    i just spray the poop with the garden hose works great

5. DanIndiana

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Yeah, I figured I would have to move it a few times; but maybe I'll enlarge it a bit to minimize the moves.
    Thanks

6. Blaineiac

Blaineiac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    I think if you put where you might want a garden next year... it'd be perfect. Make it a little larger and break the bales over top. till in the fall an again in spring. It looks like a pretty good garden to me. Even if you put on a rock. Good Luck. Blaine

7. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    What a cool idea!

8. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    you've solved my problem!
    Thanks!

I'm going to use tarp over half of mine - which will keep the straw bales dry. when it's time to move, I'll build a pen adjacent, move a bale to 'open a door', push them into the new pen and repeat the process in a couple days.

9. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Looks like rat heaven to me. Around here bales of straw are $3-3.50 each so I'm not sure it's all that cost effective either...

10. DanIndiana

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    The rat issue is something I wondered about. I know it could happen, but is it common for them to attack a chicken? Or will they just want the food. It was cost effective for me because the bales and everything else, were already here. The best part was that it took about 10 minutes to assemble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by