Straw frozen to ducks butt

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dancinbaer, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Dancinbaer

Dancinbaer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Sorta funny but not. My male has a clump of straw frozen to his butt. He must have been laying in the straw and pooped, then it froze to him. I tried pulling it off but didn't want to pull any feathers out. He and the female keep biting on it.

Can I cut it off by using a scissors to the feathers? I guess I could let them in the house until it's loose enough, but would rather not bring them in. May take to long to thaw and they always poop in the house if allowed in for an extended time.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    hmmm.. you know i'd probably be inclined to take a small basin and see if you can loosen it, if the drake is tame you should be able too.. i would then dry him down, or a damped cloth, cutting? i wouldn't want the feather loss if it's cold plus you likely cannot see underneath the feathers so cutting the bird is a risk.

[​IMG]

3. Dancinbaer

Jul 16, 2013
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Good points about the feather loss (temps are dipping in the single digits) AND cutting the bird. I'll try the small basin. Maybe put some water in the laundry sink in the basement and let him sit in that for a few minutes. Thanks for the idea!!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully he was dry when you put him back outside or he'd be frozen again.

5. mothergooz

mothergooz Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Vernon Hills, IL
    I'd have somebody hold him still and turn on a hand held hairdryer and blow warm air on his butt. That should warm up whatever is frozen to him and it may drop off or you can losen it with some additional warm water.

Then blow dry him off and send him on his way.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think a lukewarm bath would be the least stressful solution, and give him time to dry off before setting him back outside.

7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    X2

8. Dancinbaer

Jul 16, 2013
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Thanks all for the suggestions.

Went out this morning to check on the ducks and found the female also had a big clump of straw and poop froze on her butt. So......duck bath time. Soked them till the clump came off then dried them with a towel the best we could. And I thought dog and cat owners were a little excessive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] Hey we do what we have too! that is what keeping animals is all about.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] best to keep it amongst ourselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by