Straw In House

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MrsDolittleDuck, Aug 7, 2013.

1. MrsDolittleDuck

MrsDolittleDuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Tennessee
    Hi Everyone,
    I've been having alot of fun with my new Goose Honky. Honky is doing good at it's new home. Can anyone tell me how much straw should be on the floor of Honk's house? How many inches of straw should be there? I have it thick, maybe almost a foot, and I think it is too much. it's thick and it is not really stable for him to walk on it. Goosie doesn't go it in too often. I saw him/her pecking in it today, and I looked in it and there is a few round holes in it. seems like he took his/her beak and made these holes. does anyone know what that is all about? I want him to get used of his house before winter comes. it is still awhile, but it will be coming.
    thanks for your help...

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    A foot of straw is a lot and probably hard to walk on, I'd go with pine shavings that is soft and easier to keep clean. and the holes? well are you sure honky is a boy?

3. MrsDolittleDuck

Jul 29, 2013
    Tennessee
    No Im not sure it is a boy. I just got the goose a couple of weeks ago. it wanderd into my yard. never had a goose before. Ive been asking alot of questions on this forum. Y'all been so helpful. weve come to think that the bird is eather a embden or a pilgrim. think a emben. don't think it is older than a 1 year. dont know if male or female. has trates of both a boy and girl. not sure. Im confused. I was just watching it in its house and it had its head down deep inside the straw and seems to be eating. maybe there is bugs in it? what do you think? think its a girl and she is making nest for eggs? this isn't the time they have eggs is it? I only have one goose. otherwise it seems really happy. it has everything plus what it needs. it is so spoiled already just like I spoil the rest of my animals. Id appreciate any help you have.

4. MrsDolittleDuck

Jul 29, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Honky

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks Embden to me but I get confused when looking at some they are so closely looking the same. If Pilgrim then gander. But Most geese lay in the late winter early spring. although sometimes they will lay in fall. I don't know what she/he maybe doing in the straw but my geese are extremely noisy, especially the goose, so she maybe just nosing around. Does Honky sleep in it's house at night? if not where? I am pretty sure we already stressed how important it is for geese to be protected especially at night from predators. I'd hate for you to find Honky dead or missing one of these mornings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by