straw in nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvzmybabz, Jan 5, 2008.

1. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    this morning when I went out to let the birds out for the day I interupted on of the layers that has finally gotten it into her head that this is her new home and rent is not free here. She hopped down and went out with the rest of the flock I went over to the nest box she had been scratching in and realized she had thrown to the side most of the shavings. well I added more shaving to that box (this is a wooden built 6 nest box) well when her and the roo went back inside she went into another nest box and I came inside cause my 2nd rooster was having fits that I was peeking in on them so about 5 minutes later she comes out of the coop I go back outside and there is her first egg laid here and again the shaving are moved to the side to bare wood and the egg is smashed on the end. I have some straw that I bought for my dog house (he did not like the blanket and dog pillow I bought for him but LOVES the straw) so can I put straw in the boxes I think it may be a little harder for them to hit wood through the straw and I will be calling the woman I got them from today to find out what she had in her boxes but have to wait a while to get her # and need to take care of this, this morning. another bird from the same place is laying and she does not do this.

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    They can still scratch around in the straw and push it out of the way if they want -- though she might like how it feels better than the shavings. Other options are Excelsior pads or cut-to-fit pieces of astroturf.

3. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Quote:Excelsior pads ? What's it?

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by