1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Straw or sand? Pros and cons.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wildriverswolf90, Feb 29, 2012.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I have a dirt floor coop and cleaning the shavings out of it is such a pain. And shavings are quite expensive.
    I like the idea of sand, because I could easily mix in DE. But sure how easy it'll be to clean. If I choose sand can I use anykind of sand?

Straw seems like it would be very easy to clean up, but wouldn't be able to mix with DE as well, and seems I'd have to clean it out more often.

Let me here which you prefer and why.

2. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I do straw in the winter and use the deep litter method (let things sit and allow decomposition to produce heat). Just a thought.

3. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Thanks I might give that a try when the weather turns cold again.

4. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Meredith

I just wanted to chime in and contribute my 2 cents. I say SAND!! I did an in depth blog post on the benefits of using sand to chicken health and also the ease of cleaning sand. Come visit my blog and you'll get a very comprehensive picture of how much sand benefits the chickens, and also the chicken coop cleaners!! Just click here to get there, or click on the photo below for everything you need to know about sand.

Sincerely,
    Kelly
    Our Country Chronicles

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by