Straw or shavings?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SarahBChick, Mar 11, 2017.

1. SarahBChick

SarahBChick Just Hatched

Mar 11, 2017
    My coop is under construction as well, is it better to have shavings or straw as bedding? This is the design I'm going to try![​IMG]

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Very nice - welcome! [​IMG] I have/do use both. For chicks I use pine shavings until they are around 6 weeks or so. Then I change over to chopped straw and I use that in all my coops, except the disabled coop. I have a chicken with severe mobility problems so I use the straw as bedding and shavings for the rest of the coop - it's easier for him to navigate.
    The choice is yours - just don't use strong smelling shavings such as cedar for chicks.

3. SarahBChick

SarahBChick Just Hatched

Mar 11, 2017
    Awesome THANK YOU!

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I use shavings, and some hay or straw in the nest boxes. It gets pulled out into the shavings on the floor, no problem. Straight hat or straw tends to mat down and be yucky. Maybe the chopped straw works well, I've never used it. Mary

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  6. nwidahofarms

nwidahofarms New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Emmett idaho
    Please help my turkey polts are eating straw like crazzy ive tried shavings also and they eat it also im kinda ****** been staying up all night to make sure they all make it threw night time they are 3 weeks old and wamna eat more than there feed

7. bald Rooster

bald Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2016
    Orlando area
    Its just grass I feed my chickens hay all the time since they can not free range here.

8. nwidahofarms

nwidahofarms New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Emmett idaho
    Ok i just get sressed out about it so far put a ton of money into my first year turkey farming

9. nwidahofarms

nwidahofarms New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Emmett idaho
    Ok i just get sressed out about it so far put a ton of money into my first year turkey farming

10. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    I use pine shavings in the coop and straw in the run. Works great, especially if your run is covered. I compost in the run and do deep litter in the coop during the winter.

Bedding can be a somewhat controversial topic. No harm in tinkering and figuring out what works for you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by