Straw or Shavings?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicks Galore3, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Which is best in the coop? I am currently using shavings, but wondering if straw is warmer at all. Will it turn into good compost?

2. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I prefer a combination of pine shavings and leaves in the coop. I don't like straw in the coop as it takes a long time to decompose, will become matted in spots with poo, and can get moldy if it gets wet. It just seems harder to deal with, IMO.

I will throw straw into the run but it breaks down much easier there as it's exposed to the elements.

1 person likes this.
  3. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    I like straw better it seems to hold heat better and the chickens like it more then chips

4. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I do both straw and pine shavings in the coop! I throw straw in the outside run for them to play :)

5. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you for the answers, guys. :D

6. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    I like straw IF you have a coop big enough (or just a few birds) that it won't get so wet. It doesn't dry as fast as shavings and can get nasty. But, if it can stay dry, it works great and the chickens love scratching in it looking for seeds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by