Straw Substitute?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nancypo, Jun 23, 2010.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I was wondering, for the winter, if I was unable to buy straw for the coop/warmth, what would be a good substitute? Shredded paper, shredded newspaper, something else? I only have 3 hens and a small roosting area. Thanks!

2. Wheat

Wheat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Moscow, OH
    Shredded pine. I use it all the time, along with a little straw. Smells great, and is said to repell fleas and pest pretty good.

It seems to deal with the droppings a little better to me. Alot more absorbant. The straw getts matted up, and kind of sticks together, as well as your shoes (along with the poo).

Buy it at any pet store / feed store $8 for a little bail bag.

Speaking winter, I also covered all my coop walls with 3 mil plastic, then covered that with another layer of plywood to eliminate draft.

3. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Thaks, I do use that in the lower area. Up above I use straw. The only thing about pine shaving is you don't get the mass/bulk of straw for warmth. Any other ideas? My plywood is 1" thick but it can get down to 0 in the winter and just planning ahead. I already have extra plastic on hand for sealing up some areas...

4. Lalaith

Lalaith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I have used shredded junk mail in my coops and it works very well. You don't get that sweet smell of kiln-dried hardwood chips or anything (more of a library smell) but it is light, easy to clean out, and breaks down very fast on the compost heap. I find the chickens sometimes peck a bit at the tiny shreds but I've never had troubles with it. I use a crosscut shredder so the pieces are very fine.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    As long as they are dry, their feathers keep them warm enough

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Actually shavings have the same or *better* insulation value as straw does. And the chickens can snuggle down into them better, on very cold days.

Personally, I think a thick layer of shavings is the BEST possible winter bedding for cold areas.

Pat

7. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Ok, hadn't thought of that, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by