nancypo

Crowing
13 Years
14 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Boise
My Coop
My Coop
I was wondering, for the winter, if I was unable to buy straw for the coop/warmth, what would be a good substitute? Shredded paper, shredded newspaper, something else? I only have 3 hens and a small roosting area. Thanks!

Shredded pine. I use it all the time, along with a little straw. Smells great, and is said to repell fleas and pest pretty good.

It seems to deal with the droppings a little better to me. Alot more absorbant. The straw getts matted up, and kind of sticks together, as well as your shoes (along with the poo).

Buy it at any pet store / feed store $8 for a little bail bag.

Speaking winter, I also covered all my coop walls with 3 mil plastic, then covered that with another layer of plywood to eliminate draft.

Thaks, I do use that in the lower area. Up above I use straw. The only thing about pine shaving is you don't get the mass/bulk of straw for warmth. Any other ideas? My plywood is 1" thick but it can get down to 0 in the winter and just planning ahead. I already have extra plastic on hand for sealing up some areas...

I have used shredded junk mail in my coops and it works very well. You don't get that sweet smell of kiln-dried hardwood chips or anything (more of a library smell) but it is light, easy to clean out, and breaks down very fast on the compost heap. I find the chickens sometimes peck a bit at the tiny shreds but I've never had troubles with it. I use a crosscut shredder so the pieces are very fine.

Quote:
Actually shavings have the same or *better* insulation value as straw does. And the chickens can snuggle down into them better, on very cold days.

Personally, I think a thick layer of shavings is the BEST possible winter bedding for cold areas.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom