1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

straw vs. wood chips?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by norahsmommy, Jan 5, 2009.

1. norahsmommy

norahsmommy Out Of The Brooder

What are the pros and cons of straw and wood chips used as bedding? My grandfather in law used straw for his chickens and he still gets it free from all the local stores that use bales of it in decoration. They give it to him instead of throwing it away. It would be wonderful to get bedding for free, but I am not sure I want to use it. I would think wood chips would be nicer and easer to keep clean but I don't know where to get it that it wouldn't cost a bundle. Also, which breaks down better to use as compost? Which do you like better and why?

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Many previous threads on this ~

I prefer wood shavings, ideally Aspen since there are few essential oils. Some folks use pine. Not many would recommend cedar.

In my opinion straw gets too mucky, moldy and is very difficult to clean out.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I would bet straw breaks down better...I have used both...never got either free...for a floor I prefer chips...for cages I prefer straw.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think that straw might compost easier, but it holds more moisture so has to be cleaned out of the coop more often.

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I second that !

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i put straw down first as an "insulation", it STAYS there better then chips,, then i put chips on top of that.
    chips = lose easyily
    straw = gets yucky fast and doesnt soak up liquid.

i do this in both coops and nests.

7. supermom

supermom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    I use straw because it is MUCH cheaper than the wood chips in my area.

8. ChickNChicken

ChickNChicken New Egg

Jul 20, 2008
    Canton, Mass.
    I use CareFresh, looks like shredded paper but it's made
    from reclaimed wood pulp. It really seems to work well. But,
    I'm new at this (my three Dominiques, my first-ever chickens,
    are almost six months old) so am open to hearing if that's
    a good or bad idea.

9. RW19290

RW19290 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:I like wood chips or shavings because its easier to clean out. Trust me, I've experienced with all sorts of bedding. I've also heard that parasites can hide in the small holes of straw. scary!

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I use my leftover litter in a compost for the garden and flower beds, so straw hay is a better choice for me, it does break down better and I bale all I can use on my farm so it is economical also. it just boils down to what ever works best for you with all things considered.
    AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by