Strawbale Chicken House

strawberryjelly

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
We currently have a metal barn that gets a lot of air for our goats, pot bellied pigs and rabbits. The temperature does drop in to the low teens here in the winter but it doesn't last for months and months. We generally have low humidity. We were thinking we would build a smallish strawbale chicken house inside the barn for our 8 buff orpingtons. The chicken door at the bottom and a removable roof would provide ventalation. Can I get some input from you more experienced chicken folk as to whether this is a good plan or not? The chickens would be free to roam to barnyard at will. Are they smart enough to go in and get warm if it is too cold outside for them?

Strawberry Jelly

welcome-byc.gif

If you do a search on straw bale coops you will probably get some ideas. They may be a bit more involved than you will need to be since you do not have to worry about the bales getting wet. I would think that it would work out well since straw is a good insulator.

Good idea? yes, if well executed.

Will chickens seek comfort in warmth? yes, in my experience.

As already mentioned, there are several pretty good threads on strawbale coops. BYC Seach function can be found in blue bar up there ^^^

Good luck!

Sounds like it would work, yes. My only concern would be lice and mites might be a problem. Only going by what I've heard about hay and straw being a good breeding ground/hideout? Not sure. Just something to maybe think about.

Back
Top Bottom