Strawberries vs. chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maryannluther, Jan 26, 2010.

1. maryannluther

maryannluther New Egg

Jan 26, 2010
    I'm already preparing myself for what I'm up against this summer. The chickens were too little to rome the yard last year but this year I'm going to have to make changes if I want strawberries in my patch. I don't want to build a cover over the stawberries but I don't want to make the chickens stay in their pen all summer. Anyone have suggestions?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Good luck, Last year I had to fight with the dogs over the strawberries and I know chickens love strawberries. You have to fence the berries. [​IMG]

3. maryannluther

maryannluther New Egg

Jan 26, 2010
    Sure sounds that way!!!! Good luck with the strawberry eating dog!

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    That was my fault I thought it was funny the way he could get the blackberries with out a thorn pricking him. so I encouraged it. he uses is front teeth only no hes not little he ways 80 lbs its funny.

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] And I suggest you fence the strawberries some way or yes....they will ALL be gone. That's one of my girls' favorite treats!!!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Ditto that! Hide your watermelon too! [​IMG]

7. MowNGrow

MowNGrow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    Townsville
    When we want to actually eat our home grown vegies. We have to be outtside with the girls when they free range or they eat EVERYTING. Asside of what actually grows in the ground. They seem to love anything leefy including pumkin vine leaves "rolls eyes".

Ha good like with any strawberries if they are not fenced [​IMG]

8. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Don't ever get between your chickens and ripe tomatoes, strawberries, or watermelon.

They'll just bowl you over in their haste to get the nice yummy red treats.

We got many a laugh out of the chickens with the big red bulbous beaks when they got them stuck in cherry tomatoes.

9. inezbouley

inezbouley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    Florida
    They make hanging strawberry planter/bags. You could hang them high enough to protect from chickens...but probably not from wild birds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by