strawberries vs. chickens

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Rancho Pollo, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Rancho Pollo

Rancho Pollo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

I love strawberries. What a coincidence, so do my girls. I had recently picked up a couple of bags of strawberry rhizomes to plant for spring and was contemplating how best to grow them for successful harvest, rather than have them devoured by the girls.[​IMG]
    My husband was going to do a bit of yard clean up and was eyeing a couple of bird cages I had lying around. PERFECT! My strawberries are planted and tucked safely into the bird cages. Harvesting will be as simple as opening the cage door.
    Crossing my fingers.... [​IMG]

2. happyhenhouse

happyhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Verde Valley, Arizona
    Rancho Pollo (Love that name!) A very crafty idea! As long as the berries don't ripen too close to the cage wire they should be safe from your girls as well as the birds and squirrels and bunnies and turtles. I bet you'll share your berries with them anyway.

3. coopscritters

coopscritters Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    N.B.Can
    love the cages. they'll look beautiful once full
    My bantams and I have a race each morning when the strawberries are ripe. I just hate it when I catch them right outside the patch with their beaks all stained. They know theyre not supposed to be there and when they hear me coming they run out of the garden act all innocent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by