Stray Cat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NewHopePoultry, Mar 29, 2011.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Some how a stray cat got inside our house and killed 2 of my chicks!
    We cant figure out how a full grown cat got into our house. We caught her in the upstairs bathroom, but theres no way outside from there.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Sorry to hear about your loss. [​IMG] Perhaps, someone left a crack in the door and it got in that way?

3. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    All doors were shut and windows closed.We walked around and checked everything.
    Now we are trying to figure out what to do with the cat.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Does it look like the cat belongs to anyone? Does it appear to be well cared for? You could always post an ad or put up signs about the cat.

5. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    She appears to be very skinny, but pregnant.
    No collar, etc and she is very skittish.

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Awwwwwwww, poor baby. I don't know what to tell you about that. Do you have any no-kill shelters in your area?

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    So sorry about your chicks!

One time an adult cat got in my mom's house through a vent that had a small opening in the duct work that nobody was aware of, until combing over every inch of everything trying to figure out how a cat got in a completely closed house.

8. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a chimney?
    Many years ago I lived in a rent house that had a brick fireplace/chimney, but the fireplace had no flue door/shutter, nor any wire over the top of the chimney. ([​IMG] dumb right? but I was a renter and didn't know)
    One night I came home and found a black cat in my house, I had cats, but not a black one?!?!?!
    After some sweet talk, I got the cat to come out of it's hiding place...........turned out to be MY orange tigerstriped tabby.........he'd fallen down the chimney and was covered with soot. His foot prints were in the fireplace ashes, thank goodness the ashes were cold!!! I think there may have been some birds nesting in the chimney and he was after them, but fell during the process. [​IMG]

Many years later and different house, now my 'bator and brooder are in my 'guest bathroom' with the door always kept closed. My dogs & cats NEVER have the opportunity to get close to my baby chicks.

So sorry you lost your bitties!!! and good luck finding your unknown entrance!!! [​IMG]

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Looks like you might have a new friend lol. If you don't want to take her I'd take her to a shelter. They will probably let her have her kittens and see from there. If she's to skittish/wild/feral they will probably be able to rehome her kittens atleast.

10. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    What about a dryer vent? I've heard of cats getting in from unattached dryer vents or the holes...good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by