Stray Cats! (poop question)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chbychknchsr, Feb 16, 2016.

1. chbychknchsr

chbychknchsr New Egg

Feb 16, 2016
    Missouri
    The lady next to me just moved out. She used to feed all the stray cats from the neighborhood. Now they all come to my yard and are pooping all over! I'm thinking about trapping them to take to the animal shelter. I'm worried they will spread fleas or worms to my chickens. Anyone have any advice or experience with this? What would you do?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. It's not impossible that your chickens could pick up worms or fleas from the stray cats, but it's highly unlikely as most of the cat worms and fleas are specific to mammals. It's much more likely that your chickens will pick up pests from the wild birds in your area. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  3. chbychknchsr

chbychknchsr New Egg

Feb 16, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanks! I actually read a ton of stuff on here before getting my hens. I'll try to get some pics up of them and the coop and mobile run I built tomorrow! Glad to be a member!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd worry more about the cats having your chickens for a snack. They'll be looking for easy meals.

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  7. chbychknchsr

chbychknchsr New Egg

Feb 16, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanks again everyone! I'm pretty sure I'm OK as far as a cat getting a chicken dinner lol. I went ahead and raked the whole yard and set out a live trap next to the coop. Now I'm just hoping they will do some damage to the moss in my yard so I can re-seed soon!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Nunie

Nunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2016
    Sweden (for now!)
    Just keep in mind if you bring them to the local shelter they will be euthanized. Maybe try to look for a local Rescue who might be willing to take some of the friendly ones, if there are some. Are any of their ears tipped?

10. chbychknchsr

chbychknchsr New Egg

Feb 16, 2016
    Missouri
    No tipped ears. What would that mean? I'll take email to the spca that's a no kill shelter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by