Stray Chick found! Breed? Age? Sex.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickpea8439, May 3, 2017.

1. Chickpea8439

Chickpea8439 Just Hatched

May 3, 2017
    Hello,
    I work at an animal shelter and one of our animal control officers brought in a chick that was found outside a place of business. I have been caring for him/her for just shy of two weeks. Can anyone offer thoughts on age (I was guessing close to 3 weeks now?) and breed? I would love to know the sex, but understand that might be difficult at this point. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Chickpea follows me everywhere and sleeps on my shoulder. He/she has been more adventurous in the last few days. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I think its around 2-3 weeks. To young to sex right now, it maybe a Red Ranger or some sort of Production Red.

3. Chickpea8439

May 3, 2017
    Thank you! :)

4. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    X2.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Someone's throwaway Easter chick.

6. FrenchFry

FrenchFry Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2017
    The west coast!
    that's sad [​IMG] i don't understand how people can just do that.

Yeah, come back in a week or two and we might be able to tell the gender of the bird. He/she is super adorable though!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sadly people throw them out all the time, especially after Easter when they aren't cute anymore. Much too early to tell on your chick but, getting strong feelings that it is a Cockerel

8. Chickpea8439

May 3, 2017
    Thank you everyone. It was the Friday after Easter that Chickpea was found. Really sad what people do with unwanted animals. :(
    I have zero experience with chickens, but I am a behaviorist and some of the behavior is making me think cockerel too. I would love to have a chicken, but I doubt I can get away with a rooster crowing in my townhouse. :/ He/she has been a joy and I have fallen in love with chickens.

1 person likes this.
  9. Chickpea8439

May 3, 2017
    Hi again!
    Chickpea is around five weeks now. I think I already know the answer to this...cockerel or pullet?
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by