Stray Chicken - breed and gender if you can help, please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stoutfamily, Oct 2, 2011.

1. stoutfamily

stoutfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    So today I saw an interesting sight. I pulled up to my house and there was an extra chicken running around! [​IMG] We don't have a fenced in yard, and my two girls roam around freely, so, on the flip side, any old animal could also walk up. However, I've never seen this chicken before today. It's friendly, but seems weary at the same time. The poor thing is SKINNY and has deformed toes (one toe is even half missing). [​IMG] It hasn't left my yard all day, so I'm not sure if it has a place to go, or where it came from.
    My guess is it's in the 10-15 week range, because it's about the size my chickens were at that age, but I'm not sure.
    I think it's adopted us, so I am interested in finding out what breed and gender you all think it is.
    I know these aren't the best pictures, but it won't let me get too close to it. Any advice would be appreciated, as I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about this chicken. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Looks like a Black Australorp pullet to me [​IMG]. Get some food in its belly! haha

3. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    I say pullet, but i can't tell its breed [​IMG]

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Looks like a pullet. With her in the shade I can't see well enough to guess a breed.

5. stoutfamily

stoutfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Here are some face photos through my window. The chicken is sleeping on the window ledge outside. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's definitely black, I just wish I had gotten better photos of it. I will try again tomorrow to capture a better one.

6. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Yes, I think she is an Australorp. We have two and she looks just like they did at that age. Cute!

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:X2

8. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Black Australorp would be my guess, but it's really difficult to tell from the pics.

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I think Australorp also, if it is here is what she will look like after you feed her well:

[​IMG]

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I'm not sure what breed she is, but I just had to say...that photo reminds me of a ghost story I saw on TV the other day. "Daddy, the face is in the window!! AAAA!" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by