Stray chicken, can anyone tell or guess what breed, sex or age this bird might be?

white hen

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
We have been planning to get chickens so I have been on this site several times recently, what a wealth of information!
This chicken was spotted hanging around a forest parking lot for a couple of days, so guess what happened next...
Any ideas on the sex, age or breed of this chicken? I am guessing hen, she? has a yellow tint to her feathers and some black spots.
Thanks for any information!

Huh. Every time someone posts about a wandering/found chicken, I expect to see a pic of a game bird, but this sure isn't!

It is a hen, that's a start. She looks either too young to lay or like she's molting, from the comb, but her feathers look good so molting should be out. She may just be young.

As far as breed......my best guess is one of the hybrid layer breeds like tetra tint, something like that. There are so many I've not kept track of them, someone more familiar with them may be able to help you out as to which specific mix.

Thank you for your reply donrae.

Three breeds that I thought looked similar are the tetra tint, white rock and white/light sussex. Also figured she might just be cross that doesn't really have a name. Guess we will have to find her a friend now.

I bought some layer pellets last night, hopefully that is the right thing to feed her. She really likes the corn cobs that were used to lure her.

Huh. Every time someone posts about a wandering/found chicken, I expect to see a pic of a game bird, but this sure isn't!

It is a hen, that's a start. She looks either too young to lay or like she's molting, from the comb, but her feathers look good so molting should be out. She may just be young.

As far as breed......my best guess is one of the hybrid layer breeds like tetra tint, something like that. There are so many I've not kept track of them, someone more familiar with them may be able to help you out as to which specific mix.
Yup, I agree. I was thinking White Leghorn, or at least, partly White Leghorn as far as the breed goes.

X3 she looks like one of the layer mixes, Austra White or California White maybe? Cackle has both of those.

Check her for lice and mites, worm her with Valbazen or Safegard Liquid 1/2 ml of either, repeat in 10 days, and Check her vent, crop, and make sure that she has no signs of respiratory illness.

It sounds like the popular opinion is a leghorn cross. It will be interesting to see if she lays any eggs and what they look like. Do you think she is young?

We did try to look for mites and lice last night, didn't see any, but didn't have a good hold on her and didn't want to risk her getting away. Are they easy to spot? I do have food grade DE for the horses and figured I would give her some to dust in.

What are the symptoms of respiratory illness? I didn't notice any unusual breathing, coughing or sneezing. Do chickens cough and sneeze?

She seemed like she was acting "normal", but she wanted out!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom