Stray Chicken help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kevin565, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Over the past few months there has been a small flock of chickens roaming around the neighborhood. Today i noticed it was down to one hen. A couple of cats have been following her. I feel sorry for her since my ducks and geese are safe in a pen. What should i do to help her? About half a hour ago a cat almost got her. I need to do something now.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    See if you can catch her. Maybe you can lure her in with some feed. A fishing net with a long handle might be helpfull. The best way to catch a chicken is at night on the roost. However, she probably roosts high in a tree.

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    You'd have to try to catch her and it won't be easy in the daytime. I get mine into a fence corner sometimes to grab them. It might take two people since they move pretty fast.
    I have lured them into a box with corn, but you have to be right there (but way back if she's skittish), otherwise she's penned in for the cats. My neighbor in SC and I once built a pen with a drop-down door with a string tied to it. We put corn in the pen and when we saw a chicken go in, we'd pull the string and drop the door.
    At night she probably roosts fairly high in a tree; it's easier to take them at night but you've gotta be able to reach them. Good luck with whatever you try.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Did you catch her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by